Tuesday, April 02, 2019

San Juan County - Part 1

In March, we visited Sophie's county for her report!  We had never been down to San Juan County, so this was going to be a fun trip!  We stayed in Blanding and pretty much drove all over the whole county for 3 days!  I had so much fun planning this trip and Soph is easily excited about an adventure!  She was the perfect planning buddy!  We started off visiting Bluff Fort.  A pioneer stop!  I loved this little fort!  The Hole in the Rock pioneers ended up here after making a crazy journey!  The missionaries that run the fort were so sweet and so fun!  They told great stories and we loved their help.  
I even got to play this old pioneer organ!  I totally was geeking out!
The kids practiced their roping skills!









Wagon races!


Right outside Bluff is Twin Rocks.  We had to take a picture with our twins!
We saw all kinds of cave dwellings in the rocks.
We visited Valley of the Gods.  Super cool views all around!  





Then we stopped at Goosenecks State Park.



We took the Moki Dugway road - that was a crazy ride!  

Next up was Natural Bridges National Monument.  This place was only a "maybe" on my list and it ended up being my favorite!  There were 3 main hikes - all super cool.  When I think about hiking to arches, I think hiking UP to them.  These were all a hike DOWN to them!  They were all in the canyon.  Amazing!  We did 2 hikes the first day, and then came back for the 3rd and a tiny 4th! 





















Back down the Moki Dugway to go see Mexican Hat and watch the sunset and see starts at Monument Valley.










The sunset was amazing and the stars were beautiful!  The pictures I took didn't nearly do them justice.  I'm going to have to practice with the dark night pictures.  I just loved being out in the middle of nowhere with my family.  The family time was priceless out there! We were super chilly - it was so windy - but totally worth it!!!

No comments: