Sunday, December 26, 2021

Angels Watching Over Kaley

We were getting ready to go to Thomas' basketball game. Dinner was over, and I was watching Kaley's dot on Find My Friends and saw she was on her way home from work at the DayCare. I got a text, so I swiped out to respond. Then I got a call from Kaley. It was weird that she was calling me on her way home - she doesn't usually talk on the phone while she drives. When I answered, I could tell she was crying, and said, "Mom, I crashed the car, and I'm upside down." Josh heard me repeating what Kaley said back to her, and he grabbed the keys and ran out the door. I sank to the floor trying to get any more info from her, but she couldn't hear me. I could hear someone talking to her. Someone calling 911. I'm not sure how she kept her phone between her legs during this accident, but somehow it was right where she thought it would be to call me. 

We had just installed a new car stereo for her for her birthday, and it was doing something weird, so she looked down to turn it off and barely veered off the road. It took her into the ditch and along a fence until she hit a big fence post, and went flying. She flipped, rolled and landed. It is honestly a miracle that she lived. She had her seatbelt on. 

Josh made it there in a hot 5 minutes or less. Once he got there and saw the state of everything, I joined him with the other kids. I freaked out Thomas - I sent him a quick text telling him that we weren't going to make it to his game because Kaley was in an accident. The only problem with that was that I didn't update him afterwards. So when he got the text at half time, he was freaking out. 

There were angels there to protect Kaley. 2 ladies behind her saw it happen and called 911. They were both nurses and talked to her until the paramedics came. There was also a police officer just 1 minute away. She couldn't get out of the car because her buckle was stuck. She had landed on the passenger side and was propping herself up, bracing against the passenger seat.  It took the EMS workers 20 minutes to get her out. They eventually had to break into the windows in the front and the back to get to her. She said her neck was sore, but didn't know if it was sore from the crash, or from bracing herself and hold herself up for a long time. They put her in a neck brace to be safe. He wrist was sore - but also probably from holding herself up. The paramedics checked her out, and allowed me to take her to the hospital to be checked out instead of an ambulance - just another tender mercy! She came out of the car with a lot of glass in her hair and clothes from the windshield that had to be broken to get her out. 

































Not a scratch on her! She had a pretty good headache - but didn't remember actually hitting it on anything. The Dr. told her to treat it like a concussion, so we did. She did nothing for 3-4 days, just stayed at home in a dark room. She couldn't watch tv for 2 days straight, or really be on her phone. 







Josh went and picked up the last things from the car. It was totalled. I can't believe my baby was in there. 











We went back over to the wreck site the next night, just to see what had happened. We could see where she fell off the road part, and drifted into the ditch. We could see the fence she fought along for a stretch. We could see the post she hit that sent her flying. We could see 2 or 3 spots where she actually hit the dirt, left divets and parts of car, before she finally landed - facing the wrong way. 

All long this fence - you can see how hard she fought to keep control. It even bent the posts.



To that giant post at the top of this picture. That's what she hit.





Hit, and broke. 



Flipping/rolling til eventually landing in the driveway up there by the green sign.

Soooooo many people came and showered her with love and kindness.  She is so lucky to be alive! I just know that there were literal angels there holding that car this way and that so she could walk away unscathed. We are so grateful for those angels! 



No comments: