Thursday, May 07, 2009

And the twins are....



A BOY AND A GIRL!!!

We couldn't be more excited! They both are healthy and growing! Both are about 12 ounces right now. The Dr. did notice something that could potentially be a problem with our baby boy though. He said that the umbilical cord is supposed to have 2 arteries and 1 vein, but the baby boy's only has 1 of each. The Dr. listed off all the potential problems that this could create, but then quickly went through and dismissed them one by one. There were three things that he said could be a problem. It could cause heart defects - but he said our baby's heart looks great. All 4 chambers are working, and the outlets from the heart looked great too. So he said that this shouldn't be a problem there. The second was this could raise the chance of having a down syndrome baby - but, given my age and his evaluation of the ultrasound, he doesn't think this should be a problem either. The last is the scariest to me. This could cause still birth. Yikes. He said that how they would monitor this is through non-stress tests every week after 32 weeks (which I would have been having anyway for twins). The Dr. did not seem concerned about this diagnosis, so I am trying to put it out of my mind. (Yeah right.) I will be emailing my Dr. today and will definitely be reading up on this! By the way, this umbilical cord thing is something that happens in .5 - 1 % of pregnancies, so it seems pretty rare. We will of course keep you updated, but we are hoping for the best!

We are so very excited about our littlest ones! (I posted tummy pics for those who have asked. I am not usually one to post the belly, but I may make a couple exceptions for this pregnancy! :) Kaley took the pictures...she did pretty good!)

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay! That's so cool to have one of each. Kaley did a really good job, and you look fabulous. :)

Jordan said...

Jane and I are excited for you guys. I'm sure that everything will go smoothly (and that you are going to have a very full house).

alanna said...

Thanks for the update Crystal. We'll keep your little ones in our prayers. Good luck with everything. :)

Ben N Nessa said...

That is so awesome, you look WONDERFUL, and keep good thoughts about the pregnancy...I will! I am so excited for you guys! What is better than one of each?! ;)

Cheri said...

CONGRATS!! A BOY & A GIRL...that's perfect! You are in our prayers..we know everything will be great. You look terrific!

Laurie said...

How fun to have one of each! I'm sure that everything will work out fine with your little guy, but we'll keep you in our prayers!

Missy said...

Congratulations! I pray that everything works out. Good luck on the next few months and keep us posted!

Emily said...

i'm so excited for you guys (and ok, for thomas too! he will be so cute with a little brother to pal around with!)!!!

my good friend here in vegas is 32 weeks now and her baby boy has the same issue with his umbilical cord. he seems to be looking good and they're going to induce a week early to hopefully prevent anything unexpected from happening. you're in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I hope that all goes well.

-Katie C.

Radene said...

Yikes, wow! Congrats!. You're gonna have 5 kids?! Crazy but oh so neat. when are you due? I"m due with our first girl on July 9th. HOpe the pregnancy continues to go well.

Steph said...

CONGRATS!!! I just checked your blog, so you must've posted this after I looked...I'm so excited for you!! We'll be praying for BOTH of your babies...they're just added on to the list of Chloe, Jack, and all the babies and future babies that we'll have in our family! :)

You look beautiful...I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Love, Steph

Messenger said...

Wow congratulations, I am so happy for you. I hope things go well, I'm sure they will. Good luck.

Erin said...

WOW! Congratulations Crystal! That is so exciting! TWINS!!!