We took Bella to the Instacare, and signed in. When they called us up, the nurse that checked us in called to a nurse in the back. She told her to bring up the oxygen sat machine to check Bella's saturation levels. Bella was wheezing hard and fast, and we knew she was getting worse.
They got us right back in a room within seconds, and she was listened to by almost every nurse there. The Dr came in and put her on a nebulizer with albuterol. Then, the Dr came back in a few minutes later and said that they needed to send her in an ambulance to McKay Dee hospital! She THEN explained that Bella's breathing was slowing and that made them nervous. If she stopped breathing, they wouldn't have the right monitors and machines to help her. The EMTs and ambulance (with fire truck) got there minutes later. Josh's Dad came to get OUR car and diaper bag, and left us with his car and Bella's carseat.
I rode with Bella in the ambulance and Josh followed behind. Once at the hospital, she was checked out by a nurse, a respiratory nurse and a Dr. She was give 2 more nebulizer treatments, one with an Epi in it. Bella didn't like the Epi one, and kinda freaked out for a minute. I held her for a minute and she fell asleep. We gave her the second of the treatments while she was asleep and that was much easier.
She slept peacefully for a few minutes until they came to get us for her x-rays. This was the most awful experience I have had with x-rays! It was almost brutal for Bella. She was so upset and screaming. I wanted to curl up in a ball in the x-ray room and sob! I was so grateful when it was done! (Josh had gone to call and update our parents, so he wasn't there.) I was glad to bury me and Bella in his arms when that was over!
Bella eventually fell back asleep just in time for the Dr to come in and say that they didn't get good enough x-rays of her neck, so he couldn't tell how the trachea was. He would have to open her mouth and stick a tongue depressor down to look down her throat to see himself. Obviously, Bella freaked out again. Her trachea was fine. Good news. The Dr. said she has croup, and it would just have to run its course. The Dr ordered one more nebulizer treatments, and then she could get her prescriptions and go home! (At one point during all this, they thought she might have to stay the night.) We waited to give her the last treatment until she was asleep.
From there, we left for Josh's parent's home. We dropped off the prescriptions, and went to gather our other children. They were fine, and had a wonderful time with everyone. Josh and I were sad to have missed the party, but were grateful everything with sweet Bella turned out ok. That night, Josh gave Bella a blessing, and I knew everything would be ok. She has slept the past few nights with a humidifier and the window cracked open a little for cool air. We are so grateful for modern medicine! Bella is doing much better, and is on the road to recovery! (It may take a while for Mom to recover mentally though!)
2 comments:
Poor Sweet Bella. I am so glad everything turned out okay in the end. Well, at least you won't forget this Christmas Eve right?
You poor thing. Babies recover from those things easy, it's hardest on the Moms. I'm glad she's okay!
Post a Comment