Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Living in the Moment




After much thought, I have decided what my "theme" for this year will be! I will

Live in the Moment!

To me, this means if I am with my kids, I will enjoy the time with them, soak it in and remember! If I am on a date with Josh, I will not think about other things, just enjoy my time with my hubby. If I am at church, I will think about my Savior and the blessings I have been given...etc. I have a friend, who did this last year as a goal. She took time every night before she went to bed to write down a "little moment" from that day. It didn't have to be big, just something to remember. I feel like I have so much right now, and want to be able to remember all these cute little things my kids are doing with me. And so it starts, I will keep a log of my "moments" with my children, spouse and self and hopefully will have something to show for it at the end of the year!

Anna Quindlen: The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.


2 comments:

Chelle said...

Awesome resolution. I need reminders like that all the time too, b/c it's so easy to just get caught up in routine. We have a little saying on our wall that says, "Take time to appreciate the little things in life, b/c one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."

Haley said...

I LOVE that theme. There are some days where I think, "Have I even sat down and ENJOYED Isabel yet today?" I think it makes a huge difference to try to cherish the little things.